Hello, and welcome to this week’s Friday 5! Please copy these questions to your webspace. Answer the questions there; then leave a comment below so we’ll all know where to check out your responses. Please don’t forget to link us from your website!
I tried to write the gist of these questions in the questions themselves, but it got a little awkward, so I’ll just explain it here and try to make each question simpler. You know how, in our regular daily existences, we often run into the same people in the same contexts, but don’t know them by name? We often think of them as “The Guy Who Breathes Loudly,” or “Red-Haired Babe With The Porsche.” For each of these questions, please think of how you are referred to by others (perhaps as “The Person Who ___________”) who see you in these contexts.
And if that doesn’t make any sense, just answer any questions that pop into your head. I tried.
- At a business establishment you patronize regularly, what might the employees refer to you as, when they speak of you behind your back?
- Similarly, at your places of employment, current and/or past, what do either the patrons or brand-new employees who don’t remember your name yet probably refer to you as?
- Aliens have come to earth to observe families and take notes. If each member of your family is listed as the one who __________, which are you? (bonus question: what are the others in your family written down as?)
- You meet someone you had a crush on in high school, someone who didn’t know you felt that way (let’s say you meet him or her in the grocery store, and that the snow is falling Christmas Eve…). He or she doesn’t remember your name, but does remember you. How are you cataloged in this old crush’s memory?
- If a hobby of yours were to have some kind of club, and if the other club members only knew you by your particular preferences, styles, or behaviors in that hobby, how would they refer to you?
Normally, if I can’t ask the questions in a clear, simple manner, I abandon them and try something else, but I think the theme here is intriguing, so let’s all just try and do our best, shall we?
Thanks for participating, and have a wonderful weekend! Friday is a state holiday here; it is the day we commemorate Hawaii’s becoming the fiftieth state in the Union. So if you need a reason to indulge yourself this weekend, use that.